Thursday, March 25, 2010

A quote from "The Search For Significance" by Robert S. McGee:

" From life's outset, we find ourselves on the prowl, searching to satisfy some inner, unexplained yearning. Our hunger causes us to search for people who will love us. Our desire for acceptance pressures us to perform to gain praise from others. We strive for success, driving our minds and our bodies harder and further, hoping that because of our sweat and sacrifice others will appreciate us more.
But the man or woman who lives only for the love and attention of others is never satisfied- at least, not for long. Despite our efforts, we will never find lasting, fulfilling peace if we must continually prove ourselves to others. Our desire to be loved and accepted is a symptom of a deeper need- the need that frequently governs our behavior and is the primary source of our emotional pain. Often unrecognized, this is our need for self-worth."

I play that game way too often. I like the word that Gretchen Rubin used to describe it. I am a "praise junkie". Sometimes I wonder how often I would do the right thing if there was nobody to see... It's something to think about.


Right now I need to go and listen to the amazing rainstorm that is coming down outside my window. I hope it holds out long enough that I can fall asleep to it:)
Goodnight

5 comments:

  1. I struggle with this one Erin. I'm interested in you developing this thread further so we can all discuss.

    hint, hint

    ReplyDelete
  2. also am HIGHLY interested in knowing what in the world i said under the use of strong medication. i told ed culp about what you mentioned tonight and he said that in that state our truest form is revealed. just how much of a sap am i?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ch. 5 in S for S: Approval Addict. I can't wait for that one and I will absolutely share what I le
    As for your behavior on the drugs... I wouldn't say sappy. Your drive to encourage others toward excellence was just a little intensified.:)You know, it was like: Before I die, I just want you to know what great, God-given potential is in you. Reach in and find it. I know you will. You are strong and tenderhearted...etc. etc. It was the same kind of stuff you always say, you just said it with more intensity than usual. I could see the fighter in you too. No surrender, even in the face of the worst stomach virus/case of food poisoning of all time. It was great. It was a lot of the stuff I love about you most on steroids.:) arn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea why the "arn!" from learn ended up at the bottom. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the nice mention of my book, The Happiness Project, here. I very much appreciate those kind words and you shinning a spotlight on my work. Thanks and best wishes,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete