Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Assignment #2 continued...

The second section in ch. 4 is: Acknowledge the reality of people's feelings.
This is the section I have spent the most time already, but I am not going to write down all of my thoughts about it right now. I'll save most of that blathering for later.

For this topic I re-read part of Hebrews 4 and looked at the example of Jesus.

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
-Hebrews 4:15

The author is telling us here that Jesus UNDERSTANDS what we are feeling. Here it is in relation to sin, but I think we can broaden that umbrella without taking advantage of the text. He became fully human and he knows the joys and the pain associated with this life. So, when we feel pain, He does too. When we rejoice, He rejoices with us. If we are following His lead, we will be doing the same with the people around us.
In addition to His example, there are some places where we are actually commanded to be mindful of our fellow-man:

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep" - Romans 12:15

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." -Matthew 7:12
-If we want understanding from others, we better be quick to give it ourselves!

I am ashamed to say that I am not so good at this one. I want people to be understanding with me but I am often not very understanding in return. Much more coming later on that topic. Suffice it to say, studying this topic has been WONDERFUL for me. Good, good stuff.

The third section is: Be a treasure house of happy memories. The author said this by way of explanation: "Studies show that recalling happy times helps boost happiness in the present. When people reminisce, they focus on positive memories, with the result that recalling the past amplifies the positive and minimizes the negative. However, because people remember events better when they fit with their present mood, happy people remember happy events better, and depressed people remember sad events better. Depressed people have as many nice experiences as other people- they just don't recall them as well."
I found this to be extremely interesting. I went to a Christian counsellor for a while to deal with, among other things, depression. One of the assignments he gave me was to come up with a "happy book". I was told to get a small photo album, fill it with pictures of the happiest times in my life, and keep it with me all the time. The idea was that if I LOOKED at the pictures I would FEEL those happy feelings all over again. There is really something to that. Now, there is NOTHING in the Bible about creating a photo album, but there are some verses about rejoicing in the beauty of life. The best one I can think of is:

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things."
-Phillipians 4:8

There is so much beauty in scripture. Beauty and inspiration.

Well, that is it for today! ...almost. I promised a report on this morning. It wasn't so bad. I did not bound out of bed with a huge smile on my face, but I did feel a good bit more peaceful than usual and I managed to get out a mostly coherent prayer before breakfast. It's progress and progress is good.
I hope your day was a good one! Mine was. I'll be back tomorrow for #4(I have no idea where to go with that one yet!)

No comments:

Post a Comment