Monday, June 7, 2010

Book club meeting for The Five People You Meet in Heaven -Mitch Albom

These are a few of the lovely ladies of book-club:)...wish they were all in the pic. Love them!!!


Our last book-club meeting featured carnival food(yes, there was a carnival in the story!). The hostess made amazing funnel cake from scratch!! And the chocolate covered frozen bananas... Heavenly!!! FYI- the Fritos are topped with chili, cheese and sour cream(the chili was my contribution). Yum and double yum.

A quote from the book(that we had a great discussion about by the way):
"All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of it's handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair."
-Mitch Albom

This book wasn't my favorite, nor was it my least favorite.
The author wanted to address the subject of our purpose in life. I don't know that I agreed with him 100%, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It made me work to figure out what I DO think. And here's what it is... Wait for it...

Our purpose in life:
To seek God.
To love both God and His children.
To help others find God.

Some of the beautiful verses I read studying about this are- Eccl. 12:13, psalm 63, Matt. 22:36-40, Luke 19:9, 1 John, Acts 17:22-31.

Two of our thought questions as a group were:
Using what you know of on this earth, what would heaven be like for you?
and
What five people would you meet in heaven?(In the book the main character interacted with 5 people who helped him to understand his life on earth.)
Anyone want to share what your answers would have been?



2 comments:

  1. amen and amen.

    I dunno who I'd run into but I'm pretty sure Scott, and the apostles John and Paul have had the most profound effect on how I understand my role in life.

    and if I have to tone down Heaven to something tangible it's a restaurant my family owns and occasionally runs (we cook when we feel like it, but there's always someone else there to clean up the mess). There is a steady flow in and out of the people we have loved in our life and the people we loved that didn't live in our life. The constant presence of the God (the guest of honor at every meal). I can hear laughing and eating, forks and knives scrapping across plates, sighs of delights at heavenly food and the constant sound of reunions as people arrive.

    And Jesus, Jesus is somehow always there. At every table, the host of every meal. And there's that small room off to the side - the one always reserved for small parties, the place that I go to be alone with Him for a time.

    And then I return to the constant stream of family, friends, cousins, grandparents and then grandchildren and great grandchildren, the ones that lived long after I died. Great men and women of Faith that history has shared with me in my life and the ones that have been lost in time.

    Oh and the angels and hosts of heaven - I see them as living frescos lining the walls of the restaurant.

    With all the time in the world to sit with them and eat with them and know them and love them. Eternal communion. Heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just very glad to have that here for me to read whenever I want to:)

    ReplyDelete